Florida Keys Everglades Gulf Coast Bike Tour
White sandy beaches, turquoise waters and warm ocean tailwinds make The Florida Keys, Everglades National Park and the Gulf Coast towns of Sanibel, Ft. Myers and Bonita Springs the ideal place to kick back and enjoy a laid-back Winter bike tour getaway. Join us this Winter for a luxury-style tour and jumpstart your Spring training, or simply enjoy a warm week from the grasps of winter.
This tour starts on the beautiful resort Island of Sanibel with low volume bike paths and the ride through J.N “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge. We skirt south along beautiful coastal towns and ride Lover’s Key State Park before we head into the Everglades. Cycling through the everglades allows for a slower paced tour than your typical airboat excursion because we opt for a car-free paved trail. We ride through freshwater ecosystems within Everglades National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We have plenty of time and opportunity to take in the views of the ever changing sawgrass prairie, abundant wading birds and an occasional alligator.
South Florida and The Key’s weather is always the best at this time of year. The water temperatures are in the low 70s and the air temperature in the upper 70s. This makes for ideal cycling temperatures. When you want a break from cycling (or perhaps you are a non-cyclist), enjoy some time poolside or on the beach at one of our lodging destinations. Grab a cocktail at the tiki bar, schedule a spa treatment or take a visit to the Turtle Hospital or the Dolphin Research Center. If you need a break from the bike saddle, get your feet wet in the water at some of America’s Top Beaches. Or, snorkel effortlessly on the water’s surface near the 3rd largest reef in the world.
The majority of our tour follows a federally recognized National Scenic Highway. The Florida Keys Overseas Heritage Trail is a multi-use path which closely parallels US Highway 1 for 106 miles. The town of Key West boasts of bike paths, bike routes and quirky hotels and eateries. There is not a shortage of additional entertaining activities. Watch the sunset over Mallory Square, live entertainment and shows on Duval Street or visit the many museums and galleries.
At the conclusion of the tour, we will arrange for the fast ferry to take you from Key West to Ft. Meyers, where you can grab an Uber or shuttle to an airport hotel for a flight out the next morning. If you are not ready to go back to the cold winter, stay a few extra days on Key West, Sanibel or Captiva Islands.
Recreational – Active
Up to 275 miles
- Assembly: Airline service to Ft. Myers, FL
- Depart from Ft. Myers, FL
- Airport pick up time: 11am – noon in Ft. Myers on December 4, 2022 (January 31, 2023).
- Fast Ferry boards in Key West at 5pm after day of riding and touring. Ferry arrives in Ft. Myers at 9:30pm.
- Uber if you are on your own or van shuttle services with group from here to the layover hotel.
- Some guests decide to stay over additional days in Key West. (call the office, we can help with that).
- Airport hotel the evening of December 10, 2022 for a December 11, 2022 airport departure for home (February 7, 2023 for February 8, 2023 departure).
Travel Insurance: Available through Allianz.
All meals are included
All lodging is included
Highlighted Hotels: Hotels and dining experiences are upscale resorts and restaurants for the entire tour.
- 7 nights lodging when riding and 1 stay over hotel near the Ft. Myers Airport
- Transfers from the airport
- Fast ferry from Key West to Ft. Myers.
- All breakfasts, 4 dinners and 4 picnic lunches on riding days
- Cocktail social hours on the 1st evening of each tour
- Van support
- GPS mapping
- 2 or more experienced guides
- Meals on off days
- 12% gratuity for guides, mechanics, volunteers and tour staff is not included, but greatly appreciated
Book arriving and departing flight to Ft. Myers. Call the office for details. Additional travel option can be arranged for anyone staying over in Key West or Ft. Myers area.
- December 4 – 10, 2022
- January 31 – February 7, 2023
- 7 Riding Days | 7 Nights
This tour starts and ends in Ft. Myers, Florida
11 AM – noon: Airport pick up – Bike fitting
3 PM area ride: Sanibel Island – JN Ding Darling Nature Preserve – Captiva Islandup to 39 miles; 83 ft of elevation
Sanibel Island – Ft Myers Beach – Lover’s Key – Vanderbilt Beach – Bonita Springs35 miles
Bonita Springs – Naples – Alligator Allley Shuttle – Shark Valley – Shuttle – Key Largoride up to 30 miles and 12 miles in Shark Valley; elevation 103 ft
Key Largo – North Key Largo -Islamorada28 or 50.1 miles; 104 ft elevation
Islamorada – Marathon34.1 miles; 145 ft of elevation
Marathon – 7 Mile Bridge – Key Westup to 65.1 miles; 323 ft of elevation
Key West area riding and Activities – 5 PM ferry to Ft. Myers16 +/- miles local riding in Key West