Texas Hill Country “FUNDO” Bike Tour
This 4-day riding and social event will be designed for rider levels from Recreational to Advanced.
So, what is so special about our Texas FUNDO? It is FUN. This is not a race or a timed event, but just a time for great riding, fun activities, good wine, plentiful food, and great company with other cyclists.
We have done the Texas Hill Country in the past and we still offer it as a 7-day cycling vacation. We have added a fun twist to it – we stay in one location for four consecutive nights … Fredericksburg Texas.
Fredericksburg is 75 miles west of Austin, Texas. The town is known for its German heritage and well-established wineries. There is a wonderful collection of restaurants, galleries, beautiful ranches, Nimitiz National Museum of the Pacific War, LBJ Ranch and State Park and, of course, Texas wildflowers in the area. There are great surrounding small towns you will cycle through like Willow City, Comfort, Luckenbach, Stonewall and Enchanted Rock State Park.
Fredericksburg, Texas is in the heart of Texas Hill Country. You can conclude by the name, the area is not flat. We describe it as rolling hills, with some additional bumps to it. The terrain can easily be handled by an advanced beginner to a more advanced cyclist. To make sure of this, we offer 2 routes per day. If you only want to ride 25 miles of a 40 or 50 mile route, that is very doable. You see, on this Fundo our routes are designed as “loops” or “out and backs” where we start and stop at our lovely hotel in Fredericksburg each day.
Included Events Highlights
Unbelievable riding, winery tour, additional information for local attractions, available mechanic (tipping suggested), spa facilities nearby.
15 – 67 miles daily
- Fly in and out of Austin Airport.
- Arrive to the starting hotel for cocktails and dinner by 4pm on the first night. (Transportation for bikes and bodies can be arranged for those arriving to Austin Airport by 1pm.)
- Official riding will start on the next morning. Our final ride will complete by 1pm. (Shuttle service is available to the Austin airport after 3 PM)
- Room reservations will be necessary by (TBD) to hold your room. Once you register for the tour, you will make your own deposit to guarantee your space at the Inn on Barons Creek.
- Room rates for 2 doubles or a king vary from $139 – $229 per room per night plus tax. Breakfast packages are included. A very nice breakfast buffet is available.
- Fredericksburg Inn is directly across the street for a comparable option.
One casual dinner and picnic lunches on riding days.
We have chosen the Inn on Barons Creek on South Washington Street. They offer a lovely buffet breakfast, have an outdoor pool and are located just 2 blocks from main street. Cycle of Life will have a block of rooms reserved for our guests on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are numerous inns, hotels and VRBOs in Fredericksburg, but our rides will stop and start at the Inn on Barons Creek each day. AirBnB
- One casual dinner and picnic lunches on riding days
- Cocktail social hours on the 1st evening of each tour
- One wine tasting
- Entry into LBJ Ranch and Enchanted Rock State Park
- Van support
- GPS mapping
- 2 or more experienced guides
- 12% gratuity for guides, mechanics, volunteers and tour staff is not included, but greatly appreciated
- Hotels and dinners are the financial responsibility of the guest.
- GPS mapping available upon registration – Request Ride Profiles
- All rides start and stop in Fredericksburg or they are a short drive from town (30 min or less).
- Van shuttle is available for those without a car.
2023 Dates To Be Determined
We will pick up guests at the Austin Airport by 1pm. Shuttle to Fredericksburg Hotel. Fit for bicycles and take a short 15 mile ride in the country “out west”of town. At 6:00pm we gather in the gardens for a catered BBQ dinner, cocktails and a social to get to know everyone. You will have time then to walk through town and get a feel for your surroundings.
We ride to the magical town of Luckenbach with its 2 buildings: a post office and a music venue. Locals describe town as a banjo picking, guitar strumming, string plucking, boots thumping, hat twirling good time in the heart of Texas.
We offer a short Luckenbach loop of 35 miles with 1230 feet of elevation gain.
The longer loop is 46.3 miles with 1994 feet of elevation gain.
The town of Willow City probably offers the prettiest ride of our Fundo. You will cycle the well-known Willows Loop, known for their Texas Blue Bonnets. Most of the surrounding ranches and land are privately owned, so we ask you stay on the roads and off of private land, as you enjoy the wonderful sea of blue flowers. An afternoon adventure will take us on a van shuttle to a wine tasting at Rancho Ponte, just 4 miles east of town.
Short loop option is 40 miles with 2184 feet of elevation gain.
Long Loop is 67.9 miles with 3958 feet of elevation gain.
We head north out of Fredericksburg today, with Enchanted Rock State Park as our destination. The park is named for the enormous pink, granite mound which protrudes 425 feet upward from the surrounding area. Because of it’s composition, the rock expands and contracts with the weather and temperature thus making creaking noises. The longer option today can take you through Gypsun Mine and Crabapple.
Short loop is 46.5 miles with 2540 feet of elevation gain.
Long loop is 75.3 miles with 4596 feet of climbing.
This is our shortest ride of the week, but we offer 3 riding options. Our destination for the day is the town of Stonewall and the Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Park. Your riding options range from 17 miles in one direction (either to or from the ranch) to 40 miles round trip with riding on the LBJ Ranch.
Following todays ride, we will return to the Fredericksburg Inn to shower up and have some lunch before our shuttle back to Austin Airport or our cars.